Wednesday, March 11, 2009

more potatoes and serre construction 2

We have just been give 20 Pink Fir Apple seed potatoes - have joined the others on the windowsills to chit. These are apparently superb for potato salads - very tasty & waxy.
As you can see every available windowsill that the kitten cannot get to is in use.

Yesterday we finished laying the hedge along the west side of the field. We are hiring a chipper on Saturday to shred the stuff we have cut off, (that isn't big enough to keep for firewood)

Next thing to finish is the serre - we have ordered the plastic cover yesterday, and need to get wood to make the doors and to anchor down the sides, and cut some corrugated iron sheets lengthwise, to fold in half, to edge the raised beds. (photo to come)

Today I potted up some (19) hollyhock seedlings that have been in the little greenhouse over the winter and are starting to sprout.

I also potted up 20 echinacia plants that I bought bare-rooted - see photo above.

I also discovered a pot of lilies that had been left for at least 2 years and have developed lots of offsets - potted these up too.

Yesterday I sowed 3 types of sweet peas (lathyrus odoratus): Matucania (left) black knight (right) and a packet of mixed-colour sweet peas.

Last year I didn't get round to sowing sweet peas and sorely missed them in the garden.

Tried mixing up my own potting compost - molehill earth, municipal compost, sand and our own compost, using the cement mixer. Unfortunately, it was all to wet and took on the consistency of horse-turds, so I had to lay it all out on the floor of the hangar, on sheets of cardboard, to dry out. Rats! - bet the cats use it as a nice fresh loo!

No comments:

Post a Comment