Monday, March 16, 2009

hedge finished and shredded

All that is left of the piles and piles of hedge cuttings are two piles of shredded chippings. I have already used some for the pathways in the fruit cage, and am planning where else to use them.
Today I sowed spinach, carrots, radishes purple sprouting broccoli outside in the potager, I sowed early peas yesterday. The little greenhouse is stuffed to the gunnels with sprouting and growing-on stuff. I have heleniums, hollyhocks & echinacia plants on the go, Japanese quince seedlings from the bush that fruited its heart out last year - made fabulous jelly! also crocosmia 'lucifer' seedlings that are germinating well and parsley seedlings that have all germinated (!) Have also put in aubretia cuttings, as I uprooted a biggish clump while weeding the front garden the other day. In the ground are verbena bonariensis that I allowed to stay in the soil overwinter in case the frost devastated it in the garden again.We are slowly barrowing soil into the serre. Note re-use of old corrugated iron sheets as bed-edges. Still have the last one to cut to finish it all off, but the angle grinder cutting wheel is knackered and we need a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment